Thursday, September 19, 2013

Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013) Review

4/5

I know that some people are going to scowl at that grade and wonder if my credibility has been tarnished, and to those people I would like to explain myself.
I loved Insidious. I think it is a witty and terrifying film that transcended what we have come to expect from a horror film. This is not that film.
This is a funnier and more fanciful version of that film, staying away from too much unnecessary silliness, but when they go for it they go for it. It's no mistake that you laugh, because it's humorous. When it wants to, though, it shines: you jump and it terrifies you. This isn't as scary as the first one, but its a completely acceptable and thoroughly entertaining follow-up.
The script is impressive because it gives backstory that is clever and frightening, while acknowledging the overall zaniness of what is going on. I totally bought into the backstory, and I always appreciate clever tie-ins to the first film.
The acting is good, with Wilson pulling most of the weight and Byrne is always talented. The children are good, and the supporting cast does their job as well.
I enjoyed the film very much, consistently invested, and left with a smile on my face. It's a good non-Oscar film in Oscar season, and for that it deserves attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment