Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Oscars 2014: Best Actress Predictions

Behind every man, there is a strong woman. The race for Best Actress is just as tight as the Best Actor race this year, with predictions proving just as difficult. The time has come, as we are now well into October, to at least take a stab at it. Luckily, we are confident in our choices.

1. Cate Blanchett- Blue Jasmine
2. Judi Dench- Philomena
3. Meryl Streep- August: Osage County
4. Emma Thompson- Saving Mr. Banks
5. Julie Delpy- Before Midnight

I saw and loved Gravity, but my heart tells me Sandra Bullock might miss the cut this year. My head is telling me to include her, as I thought she was quite good, but I need to see more of an awards campaign in order to add her to this list.
Cate Blanchett is simply phenomenal in Blue Jasmine, and I would be shocked right now if she doesn't take it home. Stellar reviews and a healthy box office take help her case. Judi Dench is reportedly fantastic, and that is a performance I look very forward to seeing in early November. The same goes for Meryl Streep, who is arguably the most reliable actress alive, in August: Osage County. Saving Mr. Banks seems to be on everyone's good graces, but I was hesitant to fall in love with the trailer. I hope the film is as good as they say. And lastly, Before Midnight, one of my favorite films of the year, and this performance one of the best. It's a long shot considering how niche of a film it is, but I would love to hear her name called, along with Ethan Hawke's, come nomination morning.
More predictions to come as the Oscar season continues...

1 comment:

  1. I agree about Emma Thompson in nomination. It's year her return, at last.

    ReplyDelete