Friday, August 9, 2013

The Spectacular Now (2013) Review

3.5/5

I am the age that is depicted in this film, so my take it could be different from others that you may have read.
The acting from Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley is outstanding. These characters are believable in their relationship, and when they have conversations one on one they appear to be real life friends falling in love. The lives that they live outside of each other is where I found a problem. The script seems to find a bravery within their love that I wish it sustained throughout the rest of its running time. For most of the runtime, while these two fall for each other, I was hooked. I am not big on romantic film but this romance rang so true it was hard to ignore. Kyle Chandler is a scene-stealer in a role I won't give away, and the supporting cast carries their weight.
The relationships between the high schoolers are relationships I had throughout my high school experience. I wish I was able to view my experience from grades 9-12 like a movie so I could see, like I did in this film, where the happiness and trouble would come from. There is a disconnect between the brain and the heart that is well documented in this film, and it's made clear which the filmmakers intend you follow the next time such a decision needs to be made. Unfortunately, the plot moves into formulaic territory by the end of this film, and I wish it had the nerve to do what wasn't expected. I was rooting for the ending, but I have to think there may have been a more gorundbreaking way to do it that falls in line with the rest of this anything-but-ordinary film.
There were a lot of parts to this film that made me shiver with familiarity. In relationships, this film hits it out of the park. In terms of plot and extraneous story-lines this isn't the way that high schoolers live, or maybe just not the way that I've seen. There is a certain cinematic flourish added to this story that kept me from completely giving in to the relatable nature of the characters. I am still waiting to see a film that every teenager in the world can watch and feel like they have been exposed on the screen. A few have come close, but I still think that film needs to be made. This is still a film worth seeing, because when Teller and Woodley are on screen, they click in a way that makes you fall in love all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment