Friday, June 28, 2013

Top 10 Best Films of 2013... So Far

Half way done with 2013 and are there any cinematic wonders to show for it? I've seen 52 movies in theaters so far this year, exactly half way to my goal of 104 so it can average 2 per week. Let's take a look at the 10 best films of the year so far, starting with number 10. Comment at the bottom with your own lists!

10. We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks- I am not usually a fan of documentaries, but this one played out more like a suspense/thriller. It is executed with precision, and isn't repetitive. I left the theater enriched with information, and its modern day prevalence makes it all the better.

9. The Great Gatsby- I know some of you are rolling your eyes at this one, but it really has some incredible qualities. The acting (from most) is fantastic, the visuals are truly stunning, and I even believe that the modern day music was a very brave choice that clicked quite well. It was an entertaining time at the movies, and sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered.

8. The East- This film is a moral puzzle. I love it when a film invites the audience in and says, "You can't judge these characters until you decide what you yourself would do," and that's exactly what this movie does. It has its faults, and there is a definite pacing issue, but my head was full of questions and answers and introspective thoughts and I just love it when a film can do that.

7. Frances Ha- Noah Baumbach is a great filmmaker because he deals with the subtleties of life. He is a gifted storyteller in that the relatable nature of his characters and the mishaps they find themselves in ring true 100% of the time. I felt like I knew Frances, truly knew her, and that is an accomplishment worthy of placement on this list.

6. The Bling Ring- A truly divisive film. I know people who loved it and others who hated it. I quite enjoyed it. Some find Sofia Coppola's style to be a bit slow, a bit lugubrious almost, and I couldn't disagree more. I love that you have to work for the story, that she lets things unfold at a very natural pace, and that her camera work and music choices are always sublime. This is a unique film, and one that I wouldn't have believed was plausible if they hadn't told us it was a true story. Characters you love to hate and filmmaking you love to love.

5. Disconnect- Jason Bateman gives a riveting dramatic performance here, and, along with the rest of the cast and the director, he crafts a truly heartbreaking and memorable experience. I loved it. I left in tears, and that happens infrequently. I was truly moved, transported, and therein lies the power of cinema. Well done to these creative minds.

4. Before Midnight- One of my current Best Picture nominee predictions, this film is a true wonder. A magical experience. I have seen all three of the "Befores" (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight) and I urge you all to watch them. I felt like these characters were people in my life, and each film was like a catch-up you do with people you haven't seen in years. Where this film succeeds differently from the other two is in its brutal honesty. There is a darkness here that resonated within my soul and for that it is in my top 5.

3. Stories We Tell- This is not a documentary. This is not a narrative. This is a journey through the life of filmmaker Sarah Polley as she retraces her family history through interviews. Recreation and tears and truth are found, but ultimately she is commenting on the frailty of storytelling in film and how our collective memory often spins very different tales. I have never seen anything quite this revolutionary and quiet. A must see, especially for those of you who truly appreciate film.

2. The Place Beyond the Pines- Very few lists that I've seen include this film and I cannot figure out why. It is a masterpiece. It is a moody, dark, tone-shifting work of art highlighted by its bravura performances, incredible camera work, and confident pacing. This ambitious and provocative film deserves all the praise in the world and I am so happy to see it has earned $20+ million at the box office. I hope that more people find this film at home, and experience for themselves the power behind this independent mastery.

1. Upstream Color- Here we are. Number one. This film doesn't just play, it lives. It is. It breathes. It has a quality to it, this kind of ethereal wave crashing on your heart type emotion that I have been waiting for my entire life. I didn't know what it meant, so I saw it again. I wanted to understand. Also, I didn't mind spending two hours out of body as I thrived within the frame of this film. Shane Carruth is a genius. He is. This film is not for everyone, the plot needs work to figure out, and the pace can be called slow. For those of you who, like me, just allow the film to pick you up and lull you to a place of absolute peace and wonderment, well, you're in for an experience you will never forget.

How many of these films will make it to the end of the year list? It's hard to say! 2013 has had some duds, but these films should be watched time and time again. Seek them out, and let yourself be moved. Comment your own lists at the bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment