Saturday, June 29, 2013

World War Z (2013) Review

3/5

This film is less of a film than it is an introduction to a bigger, and hopefully better film. There are some impressive set pieces, running zombies that packed a definite punch, and Brad Pitt leads the film with the kind of confidence you expect.
I had a few major issues. One, the score. I'm sure it was great, but the sound mixing didn't allow it to shine through. In the scenes where visuals are all that matter and sounds come second, the driving score should be blasting loud keeping things moving. I heard an occasional welp from a trumpet, but for me it wasn't a totally satisfying auditory experience. Two, the ending. I made a vow not to spoil any plot point that has value from any movie, and I will uphold that promise. It angered me. Those who agree feel free to comment.
Possibly the most irritating thing about this film was how no moment seemed to stick. Yes, it is full of entertaining visuals and has an impressive global zombie attack plot, but no intimate moment of any kind seemed to stick. They just were, and for naught. An explosive death hit with the same force as a conversation had, and they moved around, and then it was over. I wish that they had found a way to push certain moments to new heights unforeseen previously, and sometimes they are good, but I found no single moment to be great.
Good score, good acting, and good plot all add up to a good film. It could have been great. Here's hoping the next one (should it get green lit, and I hope it does) is.

No comments:

Post a Comment