Friday, June 28, 2013

Monsters University (2013) Review




Monsters University (2013) Review

2.5/5

This short film in front of this movie, titled "The Blue Umbrella," is better than this movie. It has the genuine inspiration and spark and touch that Pixar has delivered upon time and time again. It is what we expect. Monsters, Inc., the 2001 predecessor to this prequel, is my favorite animated film of all time. I've seen it more times than I can count and, when I revisit, it provides a true level of happiness I just haven't felt while watching any other animated film.
Monsters University is a different kind of Pixar, what I like to call Recent Pixar. Recent Pixar, including the cash-grab Cars 2 and the horrendous Brave, don't have that "wow" factor that Wall-E, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, and Monsters, Inc. had. They seem lazier, as if Pixar doesn't want to try to impress us; rather, they believe that audiences will go see a film on name alone. Judging by their box office results, this is true. But the well will dry.
Monsters University is not a bad film. The animation is beautiful and the score is appropriate. There are moments of genius. However, upon reaching the film's conclusion, I did not feel satisfied. I was an audience member just waiting, always waiting and watching and hoping for a "wow" moment. It is clear Pixar is capable of this due to their filmography and the short before this film. The creative mill still churns, and I anxiously await the day one of their feature length films returns them to their much-deserved place atop the animated world.

No comments:

Post a Comment