Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Despicable Me 2 (2013) Review

3/5

I try to go into films with no expectations, and I feel with this I succeeded because I didn't love it. I could have forced myself to love it based on the amount of respect I have for the first one, but I did not. I saw it for what it was.
The animation is spectacular, with the characters expressions reverberating off one another and the settings vibrating with energy. The 3D, for once in a blue moon, is worth it; things do come popping off the screen to the screams of delight from kids and adults alike. The vocal work from Steve Carrell is spot-on; I truly believe the man has many talents. Kristen Wiig is Kristen Wiig in animation form, Russell Brand isn't used enough, and Benjamin Bratt plays up the Spanish thing to great success. The scene-stealers, and you already knew this, are the Minions.
The Minions (who are getting their own movie in December of 2014 called, yep, Minions) are incredible in two ways: visually and comedically. They come into and out of frame like they own the place, tearing things in half with random objects and they do not disappoint. They look funny, they act funny, and they seem like genuine friends. The Minions are an accomplishment within the film, same as the first, because they keep the thing moving when the actual plot does not.
There is a love story that drags on and a villain without much motive. These are plot killers, but the kids won't care. Although there are extended breaks between zany action sequences, I do think kids will be entertained. Parents can cling onto their kids' laughter, surprise, and the many pop culture references. There is something for everyone, but less so than the first time around.
I do think that there is a successful film somewhere within this decent one, but the one we get makes us love two things: the Minions, and the first film.

No comments:

Post a Comment