Saturday, July 20, 2013

Flashback: Traffic (2000) Review

5/5

Steven Soderbergh won Best Director at the Oscars for this, but Gladiator took the Best Picture prize. It looks like I may have to re-watch Gladiator to decide for myself once and for all if it is a snub, because as of now I think that it is. That isn't to say that Gladiator is anything less than a fantastic film, but Traffic is, well, Traffic.
This was my first foray into this sprawling drug epic and I must say that, even with the 13 years of built in hype, this film delivers on every level.
This film is disturbing and hard to watch at points. It graphically depicts drug use, but the reason it is impossible to turn away is because the depictions occur to serve a greater purpose: the effect of drugs on the global and personal scale. I was moved by the film in many ways, and upon its conclusion, I felt that I had been through something of value, as if my experiencing the film will in some way make an impact. I know it is hoopla, but that's how I felt.
There are three distinct story-lines occurring simultaneously, and the beauty is that all three are quite strong and, if forced, could stand alone. That they weave into and out of each other with grace and compel the audience to give their full attention is a feat, the success of which belongs to Mr. Soderbergh. Drenching each story in its own hue, playing with the focus of the camera, and getting only top notch performances out of his cast are things he does consistently. Watching him do it on this scale, however, is a treat.
The cast is something from a dream: Benecio Del Toro (Best Supporting Actor Oscar winner for this), Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Don Cheadle, Luis Guzman, Topher Grace, Albert Finney, James Brolin, Dennis Quaid, Viola Davis and more... honestly, one of the best casts ever assembled. Thankfully they all more than do their part and give performances that keep the story rooted in reality and that's all that is necessary.
Soderbergh is one of the best directors ever in my opinion, and I hope he returns from his retirement sooner rather than later as he is a cinematic force that Hollywood, and the rest of the world, will sorely miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment