Saturday, July 27, 2013

Turbo (2013) Review

3.5/5

This is an engaging if formulaic story told with consistently intriguing camera work, incredibly spirited voice work, and vividly beautiful visuals. Although you know how its going to end the minute you sit down, there are surprises and there are moments that had me genuinely laughing. I got chills where I was supposed to and I connected with the right characters.
I wish that they had broken the color-by-numbers way of telling this unique tale, because it is a premise I have certainly never seen before. It feels fresh and old at the same time, but it is always entertaining. It is the most fun I've had at an animated film this summer.
The voice work from Ryan Reynolds is passionate and I thought he was a perfect choice. Samuel L. Jackson, Bill Hader, Paul Giamatti, Michael Pena, Ken Jeong, Richard Jenkins, Snoop Dogg (or Snoop Lion?) and the rest of the cast provide equally compelling turns that will have you rooting for this little snail more and more.
All Turbo wants is speed, and luckily the filmmakers knew that in order to keep an audience involved with a unique premise and an old formula, they have to keep the film moving at whiplash velocity with truly funny moments and a hero worth loving. I am happy to report that they succeed on all three counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment